Monday 19 November 2012

The Bulb - Kenya Hara


Sometimes, we just need to get a cup of good coffee in order to bribe our mind start working. Above is a letterpress print made by Jayne Christina Glick from the Herron School of Art + Design.  So, this week I encountered her work and perhaps this quote of Kenya Hara would make it a good start.

"Design is the energetic acknowledgment of our own living world through the making of things and through communication. Design is a provocation of our senses and a way of making us discern the world afresh" - Kenya Hara

Design of Design 設計中的設計/ Chinese Version

I'm not sure whether I develop this awareness latter by myself or I am actually influenced by Kenya Hara. His book Design of Design was the first design book I read when I decided to study in a design college. Although, until present, I have yet to understand all of Kenya Hara's philosophies, his direction of work has definitely put a very high focus on exploring humanity. That functionality of assisting human to improve our quality of life in a sustainable way, has made me agreed with the value of design.
 
Kenya Hara

The previous critique session has clarified my confusion on how to do the A&P project. Observing Kenya Hara's work, I understand the A&P carries the function to promote not only the artwork, but also the concept or philosophy embedded. The entire objective is to provide an all-rounded communication with the audience through various medias, so that Voice Balls' concept or concern is well presented and delivered. At a certain point of dissecting Voice Ball, I think it's philosophy is a concern that needs to be addressed to public, beyond being a concept that only draws people's attention or agreement.

So, forget about the commercial way of defining "marketable value". Good that I understand it now.



2 comments:

  1. It's our role to make the audience understand the true essence of "marketable value"... It's not only the commercial way but the understanding and realisation of the problems that we need to solve in our lives...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now we are really the problem solving kind of designer :)

      Delete