Wednesday 28 November 2012

It's Hands-on Time


Followed by the Critical Writing, the entire core concept of Voice Ball has been more or less confirmed. Gradually, the project is entering the stage to plan for it's execution. There are 4 main concerns that I'll need to think about:
  1. Design the platform to display Voice Ball.
  2. Sound produced by Voice Ball - Avoid having voice that might lead to recollection of sound produced by childhood toys. Also, to avoid the recollection of spiritual bell. Source for a medium that creates more tranquillity sound.
  3. Implement my graphic design skills into typography design. Consider to use bilingual (English + Chinese). Use video narration as the main platform.
  4. Placement of information design and promotional items in the installation.
Issue 1, 2 and 4 have been worked out and will be posted in another post for the convenience of reading as there will be quite a number of visuals to show. For issue 3, currently I don't have any idea in solving it. Experiment and measurement on the penetration of the voice from internal space to exterior environment need to be reconsidered. I think it is quite impossible to build a complicated mechanism. Hence I searched for children DIY music instruments and got some idea from Recycled Rattles. I'll try out with some simple materials within these few days. Now let's listen to the sound produced by some of the DIY instruments:


Rice shaker - Sounded like drawing divination sticks.


Bottle cap shaker - Recycled material.

Also, I accidentally found this beautiful music produced by sand.


Last word before I forget, I need to think of a better name for Voice Ball. Maybe Voice Ball is just too cliché and doesn't stimulate curiosity!



No comments:

Post a Comment