Friday 22 February 2013

Ball Making in Process - Cracked!

A documentation of coating a layer of clay at the outer surface of the ball.

Waking up in the early morning and clearing up my mind.
/
Ball wrapped with multiple layers of newspapers.
/
Coating aluminium foil to smoothen the edges.
/
Entire ball is coated with aluminium foil.
/
The air-dry clay that I am using. Gede non-firing clay.
/
Coating the ball with paper clay.
/
Smoothen the paper clay surface with a sponge.
/
Waiting the clay to dry under normal room temperature.
/
Something bad happened. Cracks appeared after leaving it to dry for 30 minutes.
/
The cracks are really serious after leaving them to dry for a night!
/
He must be kidding me.
 /
Giving up using clay. Pealing the clay off and seeking for alternative solution.

This is not the first time I fail in using clay. I used polymer oven-baked clay during the first stage of this project and they also cracked. Hence, I made my decision fast and decided not to coat the layer of clay any more. I justified that the reason to use clay - initially is to create a stronger message of human touch, provided with the characteristic that clay has temperature in itself, could now be taken away until I find an alternative way to communicate the sense of human touch.

The reason for it to crack is still unidentified. I suspect the clay is too thin to be coated so when it dries up and contracts, it is easy to crack because there isn't a base (clay) to hold the clay on the surface that contacts with the air.



No comments:

Post a Comment